Friday, February 13, 2009

Sometimes, it's ok to pray.

I am deeply saddened by the tragedy that happened yesterday (2/12/2009) in Buffalo, NY concerning the plane crash the happened in Clearance. I have lived in Buffalo for most of my life and I will tell you that when something like this happened everyone in the community is affected. We will hold hand together and try our best to provide comfort for our friends. Buffalo is a city that has a small town feel. Nobody wants to move to Buffalo, yet Buffaloians love it here. 

I never thought that something like this would happen in literally my own back yard. I am deeply humbled as I write this because it is always a horrible event when something like this happens, but the blow is 10x harder when it's in your own city. Watching the news, and experiencing the events that happened, today I just embraced my fiance and wouldn't let go. Everyone one that plane had someone who loved them and there are no words that can heal the pain that the lost ones families are faced with. 

Today I found a prayer circle and joined in. I don't believe in God, but if God is real I want him to embrace the victims' families. I put aside my petty differences and joined hand-in-hand with Christians who were asking their God for support and healing. 

We are human after all, and sometimes as humans we need to humble ourselves. Do I believe in God now? No. Am I a false atheist because I prayed for a group of people who were lost in a tragic accident? No. Do I believe that God is going to comfort the victims' families? All I can say to that is if there is a God I certainly hope so, and if there is a God, the answer it yes. Really, do I need to prove myself to anyone? Right now, no.


Thanks, 

M